Open Call – Light art in public spaces
“Nordic Light” Portfolio Review for artists focused on light art in public spaces
In the framework of the Nordic Light project*, the City of Jyväskylä and the Public Employment Services Culture Media Sweden / EURES** will organize a recruitment meeting /portfolio review for artists focused on light art in public spaces and light festivals.
Are you an artist specialized on light art? Take the opportunity to apply for participating in this portfolio review!
The City of Jyväskylä and the Public Employment Service Culture Media Sweden /EURES will organize a recruitment meeting/portfolio review in conjuction with an international lighting branch conference “Light in the City”***, in the City of Tartu, Estonia.
The last registration date for invited guests (potential employers/clients) is the end of April. Therefore we will not be able to answer your questions about who notified their interest to participate in this arrangement before this very date. We estimate though, that at least 30 international potential employers/clients within urban lighting, light festival /event producers and others will participate in this portfolio review.
Date and location
Friday: 9th May 2014
Tartu, Estonia (venue to be announced)
Criteria for your application
You must have a graduate qualification in relevant study areas and/or have proven experience working with art for public environments, where light is the essential building block of the artistic design.
The portfolio review will be in digital form. It is essential that you follow the instructions for your application thoroughly!
1. RESUME of your artistic activities (C.V. No more than 2 A4)
2. A Pdf-document or a PowerPoint-document with a maximum of 15 pictures of existing art-works or sketches. The first picture in your presentation must show: your name, address, telephone number, email address, and link to your personal website link (if available).
3. PLEASE NOTE: It is the pictures that you provide in your application that you will show at the portfolio review if you are selected to participate. An incomplete application or pictures that come in other formats (internet links) will not be included in the selection process. The application materials must be submitted in English. Reference to websites will not be accepted as an application.
4. Send these 2 documents (C.V. + Portfolio) at the latest on Monday December 9th 2013 to:
firstname.lastname@example.org in one single e-mail.
Name your documents: “Nordic Light” Portfolio Review for artists focused on light art in public spaces
1. Name + family name + CV
2. Name + family name + Portfolio
About 15-20 selected light artists from Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden will be given the opportunity to show their artistic works. You will get an answer of your application during the third week of January 2014, at the latest. Selected participants will receive further instructions and information in good time before the event. The selection will be made by an international jury created specifically for this event.
Please note: if you will be a selected artist, you are expected to participate in the events during Thursday 8 of May. Your participation will be without charge. This will give you great opportunities to make contacts with future clients.
Please find more information about the event here: www.cityoflight.jyvaskyla.fi/english/projects/lic/activities/tartu
Travel and accommodation allowance for selected artists:
Support for travel and accommodation costs for selected artists will be available with up to 250 euro for artists from Finland. Swedish artists registered at Arbetsförmedlingen, may apply for “Intervjuresa” at Arbetsförmedlingen. But If you don´t meet Arbetsförmedlingen current criteria for being granted an “Intervjuresa” (labour market program) you have to apply from other source of scholarships or financial aid. Selected artists from Denmark, Estonia, Iceland and Norway should apply for support in their own countries or other funds. If selected, you will be provided with information about this matter.
Very welcome with your application!
* Nordic Light is a project led by the City of Jyväskylä and funded by the the Nordic Culture Fund. The project aims to support Scandinavian Light Artists succeed internationally while enhancing cooperation in the area of light and art between and beyond the Nordic countries.
**The employment Culture Media and EURES * working for increased mobility on the European labor market and creates meeting places where employers meet culture creators who want to work abroad.
** *The Light in the City is a two-year project under the Europe for Citizens programme aid scheme in which Jyväskylä has three project partners: Hasselt (Belgium), Tartu (Estonia) and Eskilstuna (Sweden). Following Jyväskylä´s vision, the project will encourage the construction of a quality night-time urban environment. In order to achieve the aims of the project lighting branch conferences will be arranged in the partner cities (spring 2014 Tartu, autumn 2014 Eskilstuna).