Est-Nord-Est is an artist-run centre in which the principal mandate is to give production support to artists engaged in the process of research / creation through its residency program. The residency periods in the spring, summer and fall bring together up to four artists at a time, as well as a curator or a writer of contemporary art. For eight weeks, the artists have the opportunity to create and work in a stimulating and vibrant cultural environment.
Originally based on the idea of an encounter between contemporary sculpture practices and those using traditional skills, Est-Nord-Est today welcomes artists from all disciplines who have a contemporary visual art practice. The residencies at Est-Nord-Est are intended for both established and emerging professional artists from all around the world. Est-Nord-Est is part of Res Artis – Worldwide Network of Artist Residencies, one of the host organizations for Pépinières européenes pour jeunes artistes and a member of the Regroupement des centres d’artistes autogérés du Québec.
Est-Nord-Est is located in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, a village on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River, about 115 kms from Quebec City and 350 kms from Montreal. The region features a strong presence of farmland and forests along with the maritime atmosphere of the River.
The residency of 8 weeks includes the following:
- An honorarium of 1215 $ CA;
- Lodging in a house close to the studios, which is shared with the other artists and the curator or writer;
- Access to a private studio;
- Technical and logistical support;
- Access to wood and metal workshops as well as tools for working various materials such as stone, ceramics and so on;
- Access to a computer and audiovisual material;
- Use of a bicycle.
Spring: May 1 to June 23, 2017 / Summer: July 3 to August 25, 2017 / Fall: September 4 to October 27, 2017.
Given the impending work on the Est-Nord-Est : Tous Azimuts! building project, some changes may take place concerning the holding of the 2017 residencies. Est-Nord-Est will communicate these changes to the people concerned.
Applications / Deadline: October 1, 2016
You should use the guidelines below and present a single compressed file (zip) having a maximum of 10 MB. You should title your file as follows: 2017_surname_first name.
Your file must include:
- A curriculum vitae (two pages maximum PDF format);
- An artist’s statement (one page maximum PDF format);
- A letter presenting your research project, including any specific needs in terms of technical resources (one page maximum PDF format);
- 10 to 15 visual images (JPG) of your work, along with a description list of the images;
- For videos, include a link (Vimeo, You Tube, etc.). Please be sure that the videos remain online until mid-April 2017.
A jury of peers evaluates the applications. Est-Nord-Est attempts to bring together artists whose practices are of a complementary nature or are in dialogue with each other, and are appropriate to the specificity of the residency.
Est-Nord-Est gives the artists:
- Time and space to carry out research, create and experiment;
- A place in which to expand his or her knowledge and skills;
- An international art community.
Est-Nord-Est makes its choices according to the following:
- The artistic quality of the proposal;
- The repercussions of the residency on the art career;
- A constructive mix of art practices;
- A mix of genders and generations;
- A representation of artists from Quebec, Canada and around the world.
You will not receive an email that your submission has been received. When you send your application, a message at the very bottom of the form will let you know that we have received your submission.
For any questions, please contact
Richard Noury: email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in Est-Nord-Est, artist’s residency.
To see the application form in full please click here.