The Abraaj Group Art Prize was established to recognize notable contemporary artists from the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia, and curators with an interest in the region. Unique in its format, the Prize awards an artist and a curator through a proposal, rather than a completed work.
The Prize has elevated artists and curators in their career, adding value to their practice through loaning and exhibiting winning artworks at museums and exhibitions worldwide.
The winning curator receives a $15,000 curatorial fee to curate an exhibition showcasing a selection of works by the three shortlisted artists and the winning artist’s work, which is revealed at Art Dubai 2018.
The winning curator may be invited to Dubai for a final interview, where they will be shown the exhibition space and discuss the curator agreement.
Curator applications for the Abraaj Group Art Prize 2018 open on March 14th, 2017, and will close on April 16th, 2017. The chosen curator will then be announced on April 23rd, 2017.
- No age restriction
- No nationality restriction
- Curatorial experience on an international level of at least 8 years
- No conflicting appointments from October 2016 – March 2017
- Exhibition must be delivered in time for Art Dubai, March 2017
- Content, photographs, permissions and writing of accompanying exhibition catalogue due by March 2017
- Personal appearance at preview event at Art Dubai 2017
- Availability for interviews in advance and during the exhibition
- No application fee
- To encourage artists from the MENASA region to apply to the Prize
Materials to submit via the below online application form:
- Section One: Contact Details
- Section Two: Professional Background
- Details of qualifications, exhibition history and awards (max. 500 words)
- Images of exhibitions you have curated / artists you have worked with
- Writing samples (each max. 2000 words). These can be published work, online or an extract of a thesis.
- Section Three: Proposal
- Curatorial statement [maximum 250 words]. Explain the broader context of your interest in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia and what you feel you can bring to The Abraaj Group Art Prize
To learn more, click this link.